Esports Brand Partnerships
A strategic perspective from Twitch + GMR
by Dave Rosenberg, Chief Strategic Officer, GMR Marketing and Nathan Lindberg, Director, Esports Sponsorship Sales, Twitch
As brand marketers, we have all been monitoring the meteoric growth of esports and evaluating opportunities to engage in the most effective and efficient strategic approach. You’ve likely been asking yourself a lot of questions:
- Is there an appropriate game for my brand or should I stay away from a first association with one game title?
- If I decide on a game title, who are the fans that follow it?
- What is the difference, if any, between fans of different esports genres and titles?
- How do I integrate a media partner into my marketing approach, and if so, which one?
- What social platform(s) should I utilize to market my brand’s involvement?
- How do I evaluate success of an esports partnership for my brand and business?
These are all good questions. The answers lie in understanding the esports landscape and identifying your brand/product positioning within the esports experience to drive brand value through the appropriate partnership.
Part of creating an effective esports marketing partnership strategy is understanding how and why your brand is used and perceived (or how you want it to be used and perceived), and what it means to its users. It is then imperative to weave this knowledge into the partnership, making it part of a positioning statement and messaging that is unique to your brand, or return on investment will not be achieved.
The only way to resonate with esports consumers is to speak their language and identify an appropriate association that is easy to understand. One critical point to remember is that if it takes too long to communicate or doesn’t add value to the esports consumer, the audience will quickly recognize the lack of authenticity of the partnership. Identifying the most impactful partnership strategy for your brand is critical and should be driven by data and insights that answer the questions we raised above.